Office 2003 Add-In – Remove Hidden Data Add-In for Office 2003 Editions
The Remove Hidden Data add-in is a tool that you can use to remove personal or hidden data that might not be immediately apparent when you view the document in your Microsoft Office program.
You can run the Remove Hidden Data add-in on individual files from your Microsoft Office 2002 program or from your Microsoft Office 2003 program. Or, you can run the Remove Hidden Data add-in on multiple files at the same time from the command line. In either case, to run the tool you must have the program installed that you used to create the document.
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Office 2003/XP Add-in: Remove Hidden Data
With this add-in you can permanently remove hidden data and collaboration data, such as change tracking and comments, from Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint files.
Remove Hidden Data is an add-in for Microsoft Office 2003 Editions or Microsoft Office XP that lets users permanently remove hidden data and collaboration data from their Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint files.
When you distribute an Office document electronically, the document might contain information that you do not want to share publicly, such as information that allows you to collaborate on writing and editing the document, or hidden information that can be used to track who worked on the document.
The Remove Hidden Data add-in is a tool that you can use to remove personal or hidden information that might not be immediately apparent when you view the document in the Microsoft Office application.
You can run the Remove Hidden Data add-in on individual files from within the Office XP or Office System 2003 application. Or, you can run Remove Hidden Data on multiple files from the command line. In either case, the application that created the document must be installed in order for you to run the tool.
- You should run the Remove Hidden Data add-in on files when you are ready to publish them. This is because some of the data that the tool removes is used by Office for collaboration features, such as Track Changes, Comments, and Send for Review.
- You should always save to a new file name, rather than overwrite the original file with the new document, in order to preserve a copy of the document containing the original data.
- The Remove Hidden Data add-in does not work with Information Rights Management-protected or digitally-signed files.
- This add-in is not compatible with the 2007 Office system. The Document Inspector feature in the 2007 Office system replaces this add-in. For more information see the Office 2007 Resource Kit content at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179055.aspx and the online Help topic at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA100375931033.aspx
For more information about more known issues and topics that are not covered by the ReadMe file, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
- 834636 – Known issues with the Remove Hidden Data add-in for Office 2003 and Office XP
- 842684 – Known issues with the Remove Hidden Data add-in version 1.1 for Office 2003 and Office XP