Volume Activation of Microsoft Office 2010 [Updated]
An updated version of the Volume Activation of Microsoft Office 2010 Model is now available for download from the Microsoft Download Center.
This model which can be downloaded for free from the Microsoft Download Center, gives IT professionals the steps for common Microsoft Office 2010 volume activation scenarios.
Office Activation Technologies provide methods for activating products that are licensed under Microsoft Volume Licensing programs. This model Describes and illustrates how to manage Office 2010 Volume Activation methods: Multiple Activation Key (MAK) and Key Management System (KMS).
This model is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
You can use the following methods to activate Office 2010 by using Office Activation Technologies, which are the same methods that are used for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and later versions of Windows. The kind of product key entered determines the activation method:
- Key Management Service (KMS) - KMS uses a host computer to establish an activation service on your local company network. With a KMS host you can activate thousands of computers at the same time when they regularly connect to the company network. If you use a KMS host to activate Windows, you can use the same host to activate Office 2010.
- Multiple Activation Key (MAK) - With MAK, each computer activates Office 2010 with the Microsoft hosted activation servers over the Internet or by phone. MAK is recommended when you have fewer than 50 computers to activate, and for computers that are not regularly connected to the company network.
- A combination of KMS and MAK - For example, desktop computers that are running Office 2010 will have the KMS client key installed, whereas portable computers that are running Office 2010 will have the MAK key installed.
- To edit the Visio version of the model, you must have Microsoft Visio 2010 or Microsoft Office Visio 2007. You can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer and the Visio 2010 Viewer to view the model.
- To view the PDF version of the model, you must have a PDF viewer, such as Adobe Reader.
- To view the XPS version of the model, you must have Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP with .NET Framework 3.0, or XPS Essentials Pack.